Saturday 14 November 2009


I should have written this yesterday!

There I was, waiting for a moment of coincidence and I missed it!

That’s the thing about coincidence you see, it’s surprising and if you don’t keep your wits about you it’s possible that you won’t even notice it.

If this is your first day looking at this blog I should explain; if it’s your umpteenth day of looking at this blog I should apologise as I keep explaining the same thing.

Maybe that is an inherent problem of blogs, that the reader is ephemeral? Maybe the art of the bloggist is to adapt to that reality and not try to push the limits of the medium?

However, ever since this blog has been here I have tried to experiment with it’s content; there have been the fantastically unappreciated attempts to create scan art, the universally ignored treasure hunt, a failed masterpiece in the advent calendar, the lovingly supported improvisation challenge and now the taxing - coincidence connection.

There have also been a lot of bits and bobs and show and tell.

A post or two ago I dropped a question into the blog, associated it with a hint and sat back to wait for someone to take the bait. I had high hopes that Anne, an official blogine (that’s a made up word combining a bit of French and a bit of English – even though she’s American and lives in Germany) would respond as I had noticed she enjoys posing questions on her own blog.

She did in fact read the post, a coincidence in itself if you consider the probability, AND she left a comment - unfortunately she either chose to ignore the invitation or was unaware of it.

Which was a real shame as I was then going to say – there, look at that, what a coincidence - and talk about Minnie.

Instead yesterday I was having breakfast with Minnie, her thoughts full of the nutella she was eating and my own full of the striking lack of coincidence I was faced with – an UNcoincidence maybe.

And then, Minnie looked up and said – “It’s Friday the thirteenth today”.

It was!

And Minnie was born on Friday the thirteenth!

If we had been living in England at that time I might have been worried but being in France it was perfect. It’s not an unlucky day here but a fortuitous day – La Fête de la Chance.

So I should have written this yesterday, but then the photo would not have been so perfect.

1 comment:

Anne Hodgson said...

Thank you for the medal. I shall pin it proudly to my chest... and pay better attention next time ;)