Thursday 1 April 2010

Seasonal Dilemmas




I had a bad day today – I got flashed by a speed camera in the morning, I pushed a reticent student too far in an exercise and upset them and then a pomegranate that I was squeezing exploded, sending graphic, blood red spots all over my face, the wall of the college and a colleague’s Gucci handbag.

It was awful.

I went to see the director to explain my behaviour, seek her advice and ask for a mop.

It was a really bad day.

So, on the way home I stopped at the supermarket to buy some comfort food – nougat, strawberries and a bottle of orange/lime/banana smoothie – and, I’m not sure why, I bought a football!

Just bouncing it next to the yoghurt displays made me feel better.

Strangely it also made me feel fitter!

It’s yellow – my favourite colour – with a slash of green, my favourite combination.

It was so pleasant to bounce and handle that I tried spinning it on my finger, something I haven’t done since, since.., well, 1991 actually. Not seriously anyway.

I dislodged several pots of blackberry yoghurt and scared one of the shoppers, but heck – I was feeling good.

If you haven’t bounced a really well inflated football recently I strongly urge you to drop everything and go out and….

… Hey, did you know there are 70 days, 17 hours, 17 minutes and 59 seconds to, 58, the, 57, 56, 55 before the football world cup starts this summer? 37?

I learnt that from the official Fifa World Cup 2010 web site which has a countdown-thingy at the top.

It probably also means that it is, hang on, 70 days, 17 hours, 14 minutes and 33 seconds to the summer. 25.

Which is brilliant.

Though I really love the spring.

Maybe more so.

I’m sitting outside, there’s a cuckoo doing its cuckoo-ing thing in the valley, there’s a fresh breeze, blossom, blue sky and a seasonal dilemma.

When do I cut the grass?

It looks like it needs it but it’s full of daisies, forget-me-nots, dandelions, violets, cowslips and those purpley things I don’t know the name of; I can’t cut it.

Instead I’m going to run through the meadow with my new ball give it a mighty kick towards the forest, run around a couple of imaginary players, kick it back, punch the air in celebration and then have a cup of tea.

I might even go and watch Barcelona and Arsenal play in the Champion’s League around at Martin’s house.

Well, they aren’t playing IN his house, obviously – it’s big but not THAT big, but he has a TV with that new fangled satellite thingy.

It could be a perfect end to a really bad day.

70, 17, 3, 54….. 53.52.51.

13 comments:

Vicki said...

Sorry to hear about your bad day. But hey, tomorrow's another day.

Anne Hodgson said...

Did the result lift or dampen your spirits?

I had a good game the night before, watching Ribery sock it to ManU. Lord love him.

I have an apple green ball, a souvenir from the opening of our pretty stadium. Though I don't play at all. Must donate it to someone. But not just yet.

popps said...

Unfortunately Anne, if i support anyone it is Manchester united so spirits were extremely damp already on the "how are my team doing" front.
But the nougat was excellent.

popps said...

Vicki, it is , in fact it's today, but i am going to feel bad about that student until next wednesday when i next see them.

Mike Harrison said...

When I checked on The Guardian website, I thought Arsenal were going to get thrashed. Really admire Fabregas, though you might think what happened a little foolhardy. Interesting to see how they do in Barcelona.

Also a shame about Rooney - football injuries rarely seem to happen when it doesn't matter do they?

Janet Bianchini said...

We are very busy mowing the jungle that is our "garden", hence the lovely smell of freshly mown grass which is wafting away as I type. A lot of dandelions about and millions of daisies. My specific task (when I'm not interrupted by chickens) is to collect all the mounds of grass cuttings. Nothing will go to waste, however, as it will all go straight into the compost areas, ready to make fresh compost for the garden.

Hope today is going better than yesterday.

popps said...

Hey everybody, thanks for being so concerned and supportive - i really hadn't intended to solicit your sympathy but i really appreciate it.

Now, let's look at the cultural aspects - the 'american' says right, so today's a new day let's go,
The 'Italian' crosses herself and prays and the 'german' rubs salt in the wounds while the 'englishman" just ignores it, goes down the pub and talks footie?. :-)

By the way there will be a trivia question relating to this post in the end of the year quiz so if you're here now, don't forget.

popps said...

Mike - i'm guessing that football injuries by and large happen during the football season so by inference it will always matter.
Remember that Bill Shankley - the former , legendary, Liverpool manager said -"Some people think that football is a matter of life and death. I can assure you it is much more serious than that."

popps said...

Mike - i've added a link to your blog in my "Critics' section - really a blog roll. I wanted it to look a bit different and i have tried to use the idea of the back page of a novel.
I have asked everyone's permission to use their quote and would like to do so with you - is it ok?
i couldn't find an email on your blog so i'll leave the request here.

Michael Harrison said...

Mighty mighty honoured to be a quote on the blog =)

popps said...

hmmm, i don't know but that one might be even better!

Anne Hodgson said...

Oof. OK, I guess I had that coming. Wasn't meant, but has stupidity ever been an excuse for anything? So, officially: Sorry about the salt, Chris.

popps said...

Anne - friendly football banter, i'm just kiddin'.